Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

Im in deep trouble

Customer Question

In 2005 and 2006 I created a fake schedule C. Even though I am a licensed real estate broker I never really worked as a broker, I created a loss to offset W2 income and pay less taxes. The IRS is now auditing my 2006 tax returns. I dont want to dig a deeper hole by giving them anything and I cant just ignore them. Theyre asking for proof of the schedule C by correspondence audit and im pretty sure they know that my tax returns are fraudulent. What do I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer- The best thing I can tell you is to get private legal counsel. Obviously this is a tax fraud situation and I agree that you are in trouble. You don't need to compound the trouble by giving any more information at this point.

It may be possible to file an amended return before you are charged with a crime but I can't say for certain that is the case. You also do not have to make any statements that would incriminate you so that is why I stress the importance of having counsel. We cannot represent clients from this website as it is for general information purposes only.

You need to get counsel right away because the longer you wait the more serious the problem becomes. You attorney can then deal with the IRS rather than you. You will probably have to sign an IRS POA in order for your attorney to be able to deal with the IRS.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you sir.
No problem and thanks for using our website. Remember - you NEVER have to talk to anyone with the government, especially if you may incriminate yourself. This has nothing to do with reading someone their rights because usually by that time it is too late! - Dave