Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

hi...i was recently charged with petty theft, code 484 something,

Customer Question

hi...i was recently charged with petty theft, code 484 something, the amount of which is 248 something dollars...i was given a notice to appear in court on april 2009....what happens in this court hearing??? this is my first offense...i have no intention of ever doing it again...i live in california and i want to know what happens in court. i really do not want to go to jail. what should i do?? please help. im scared.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer- This is what is called an arraignment and is the time when you enter a plea to the charges. Since you are not in jail now I doubt you will be required to post any bail or bond at the court hearing. You should definitely get legal counsel and if you can't afford an attorney you should ask the court to appoint one for you.

In any case you will need to plead not guilty in order to have a chance to talk with the prosecutor as to a possible plea bargain. I can understand your fears but I doubt you will go to jail if this is your first offense although I cannot guarantee that. This is why I believe it is always important to have legal counsel.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law