Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

If there is no video, or voice recording can you be convicted

If there is no video, or voice recording can you be convicted on the testimony of a cofidentail informant only?
If there was no other evidence to corroborate the word of the CI, then the only way to convict you would be to actually put the CI on the stand. If they just used the statement of the CI and then obtained other evidence as a result of the CI's statement, then that evidence can be used against you and the CI is not needed.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If the CI is all that they have and no other evidence how can I beat this case?
What was the charge against you that they used the CI for?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sell of crack cocaine and marijuna
If they caught you with any crack or marijuana, then I am afraid you will have a big problem. Also, if they made a buy through the CI, if the CI does not testify, but there was an officer present during the buy, then you also have a problem. However, absent this, you have a good argument to require the testimony of the CI. You should have engaged an attorney to represent you at this point.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the buy happened in oct of 08 i wasn't arrested until jan 09 they did not catch me any drugs and also they said that the CI came alone no police were present

Then without any additional evidence to the contrary, your attorney needs to be arguing that the CI's testimony is required because you have a constitutional right to question your accusers. Absent any other evidence, you should have good grounds to seek a dismissal.