wallstreetesq
wallstreetesq, Lawyer
Experience:  10 years Experience, have tried several high profile felony cases and misdemeanors
16356563

Can you have medical marijuana in south carolina

Can you have medical marijuana in south carolina?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  wallstreetesq replied 7 years ago.
SOUTH CAROLINA DOES NOT HAVE A MEDICAL MARIJUANA LAW, THEIR ARE BILLS THAT WERE PENDING BUT NOT PASSED YET.

Last session, Sen. William Mescher (R-Berkley Co.) introduced S. 220, a compassionate bill that would allow patients with cancer, multiple sclerosis, severe pain, and other serious illnesses to use marijuana with their doctors' approvals. Sadly, Sen. Mescher died of a stroke on April 8, 2007. However, this does not change the status of the medical marijuana bill. It is still awaiting additional hearings in the Medical Affairs Committee. On February 14, 2007, a subcommittee heard testimony from patients on the bill. But the committee has not taken any additional action since then.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I am a paraplegic and yesterday the police came in my house and found marijuna and I was charged with simple possession & possion of drug parapherrralia but the police man said if I brought a letter from my doctor stating I needed to use medical marijuana he would work with me with the tickets. I was hoping that there might have been a prior case in south carolina were the courts did accept a handicapped person a legitament reason to posses medical marijuana.
THEIR ARE NO PRIOR PUBLISHED CASES, HOWEVER WHAT THE POLICE MEANT WAS THAT THEY WILL PRESENT THE EVIDENCE TO THE DA and he would in his discretion dismiss the charges or lower the fine, the state will not actually codify this, but state prosecutors usually have discretion in matters like yours