Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

What if the police put the name Robert on my ticket instead

What if the police put the name Robert on my ticket instead of Rob? Also on the original ticket that I signed the officer did not put the DUI charge on it. He came back to the Dotox faciality a half hour later and I asked me if I would sign a new ticket. I told him I was not comfortable with that. He then asked to speak with me privately and basically told me it would only be worse if he had to fill out an amended report and that it would not matter if I signed it or not, it would just be easier on myself and him if I did, so I did. Will having the original ticket and the second one help?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer- The name difference won't matter since it could easily be amended and is not crucial to the case. The other issue may be relevant if you can show you were coerced however the officer could have easily amended the charge and signing a ticket is not necessary for the charges to be valid. The best advice I can give anyone in your position is to get a lawyer to represent you. A DUI is serious and if you can get it reduced it would be much better for you with respect to insurance, fines and many other factors.

Due to the confusion about the ticket it may give a lawyer some bargaining power to get a decent plea bargain. If you can't afford a lawyer you should ask the court to appoint one for you.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law