Ali Kirk
Ali Kirk, Lawyer
Experience:  14+ years experience in misdemeanor and felony trials and appeals.

this kid was making fake ids, and being naive i thought i

this kid was making fake id's, and being naive i thought i could make some cash on the side by finding people to buy ids from him. he took their money and never gave them anything. now all the people he stole from are harassing me. if i go to the cops to turn him in (he deals drugs and conterfeits other things), do i go to jail? i realize that what i did was immature and stupid, but i didn't make any id's or anything, i just gave him people's money.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ali Kirk replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the question. Question. How did you collect the money from this kid's clients? Meaning, did these clients tell you that they were paying for the Id's?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, they said they were paying for the ids. they would give me cash and their photo.
Expert:  Ali Kirk replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the follow-up. Based on the facts that you presented, you could possibly be charged with either:

-Being a principal to the crime; or

-a co-conspirator.

A principal to a crime is a person who is involved in a crime due to his knowledge of the crime and facilitating the crime. For example -- if two people drive to a convenience store with the intent of robbing it, but only one person robs and the other stays in the car -- both can be charged with robbery.

In most states, principals are subject to the same punishment as the main person involved.

A conspiracy is when two or more people make an agreement to commit a crime and usually carry out some act in furtherance of the crime.

Based on the facts you presented, you could be charged with theft and possibly some kind of fraud.

Now to reality. Without knowing your record -- generally a person in your situation would probably be subject to a lesser crime than the kid. Also, the prosecutor may want to make a deal with you, in order to get the kid. However, these are only possibilities and if the kid is a juvenile, then things could be different.

Unfortunately this site is limited and I cannot determine what would happen. As a result, it would be advisable for you to consult with a local attorney. Why? Because everything you say to an attorney -- he/she cannot repeat.

As a result, it would be best not to speak to anyone else about this situation other than an attorney because other persons could be compelled to testify.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER (I really don't like this but it is necessary): This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advise for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

Ali Kirk, Lawyer
Experience: 14+ years experience in misdemeanor and felony trials and appeals.