Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Please Help Me I Really Screwed Up!!! Two weeks ago I downed

Customer Question

Please Help Me – I Really Screwed Up!!!   Two weeks ago I downed over three quarters of an old 1000ml bottle of vodka prior to entering a grocery store for a gallon of milk. I paid for the milk but had cheese and season salt in my coat pockets. I was escorted into security. They called the police and arrested me for theft valued at $59.07. Police released me with a summons to appear. The store also had me sign a paper that listed the items, but I couldn't read what it said. I barely remember trying to sign it. I Drank to escape as I had been off my medications for several weeks. (No job = No $ = No meds & No Lawyer) Meds are 60mg Paxil & 3mg Klonopin. I'm back on meds now.   (Wife's Meds >$1500 monthly)   QUESTIONS: Is it theft if I never left the store? If whatever I signed says I am admitting to guilt is it admissible given my intoxication? I've also read about a divergence too. I appear tomorrow. Any and all help would is so appreciated.        THANKS from Stupid101
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
As a defendant in a criminal case, pursuant to your rights under the US Constitution, no job=no $= free court appointed attorney and you need to get one through the public defender's office.

Voluntary intoxication is no defense to any crime. However, if you can prove you had no way of understanding what you signed, thus it is ground to throw out any statements, this is a good strategy. Also, as a first offender it is quite possible that you would get a deferred sentence which would be probation and some type of counselling and then after you complete the probation the charges could be dismissed or expunged.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX was regarding theft. I had placed the cheese and season salt in my coat pockets. I did pay for the gallon of milk. I was then detained after leaving the register but prior to leaving the store. I was only a few feet from the register when Security (or Management) asked me to follow them to the security office. Am I guilty of theft? or is this intent or something else that I should have been charged for instead.

Thanks again,

Sorry, yes, it is theft. The fact that you never left the store is irrelevant. The fact that you had the items concealed in your pockets and you actually paid for the milk is the intent necessary for the theft. Stores do not have to wait for a person to leave the premises to prove theft, it is based upon the actions of the perpetrator, such as concealing the items in your pockets and actually, even if you had second thoughts and put the items down, it is the intent at the time you picked up the items that matters. Now, although voluntary intoxication is no defense, you can argue your intent was to pay for the items but merely forgot about them, however these arguments are usually weak, but worth making.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your advice and information. I accepted so you get paid. Will you answer me this?: Tomorrow morning is my appearance. Should I ask for a public defender when called before the judge? or later and would you suggest I plead not guilty and see if they show up to prove the case against me? This is all new territory for me.

Thanks again

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your advice and information. I accepted so you get paid. Will you answer me this?: Tomorrow morning is my appearance. Should I ask for a public defender when called before the judge or when? and/or would you suggest I plead not guilty and see if they show up to prove the case against me? This is all new territory for me.

Thanks again

You should ask for an appointed attorney before you do anything but plead not guilty. You need to tell the judge that you do not know the process and would like to meet with a public defender. Also, if you go to court early, you can go into the Public Defender's office and speak with them before court.