Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

if im stop by a traffic cop while driving my car, is it manditoary

Customer Question

if im stop by a traffic cop while driving my car, is it manditoary for me to hand over my documents when ask to do so by the officer that stop me or do i have the right to an explitation as to why im been stop before i turn over my documents
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

hi

you should be advised as to the reason for the stop - generally, when stopped police officer will approach, identify themselves and then state why they pulled you over. this is standard operation procedure in most jurisdictions.

you can ask for a photo ID if you have any doubts that the police officer is law enforcement - say, for instance, if the person is in an unmarked vehicle.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm not asking about what generally happens. I want to know under the law if I'm suppose to hand over my documents to an officer before I know why im being stopped

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

hi

thank you for your patience while i have researched thoroughly the NY Vehicle and Transportation Code to no avail for a law requiring the officer state why you are being stopped - i do know a driver of a motor vehicle shall present his or her license for examination upon demand of a peace officer enforcing the VAT code and that a police officer can only demand a license when enforcing those provisions. therefore it can be argued that without first knowing why the license is being demanded one should not have to provide it.

however, if you want, i can opt out of this question and see if another expert can locate such specifics for you. in the meantime, here is a link to the NY VAT for you to peruse

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you sam ive already "accept" have a great day
Expert:  Samuel II replied 5 years ago.

hi

thank you. good luck