CALawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Law

what is the difference between a grand jury and a trial ju

Customer Question

what is the difference between a grand jury and a trial jury
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CALawyer replied 7 years ago.
A grand jury is comprised of more people (I've personally seen them with up to 25 people) than a "petit" or trial jury and the purpose is to indict people. That means that all the grand jury decides is whether the prosecutor has enough evidence to go forward with a trial. If the prosecutor convinces them that they have enough evidence, they issue an indictment which allowes the prosecutor to proceed with trial. Typically the grand jury only really considers the prosecutors evidence.

A trial jury is typically composed of 12 people and is there to determine whether someone is guity of the offense after a trial. These 12 people are impaneled to weigh the evidence and determine whether the prosecutor has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime was commited.

If this information was helpful, please click
ACCEPT to give me credit for answering. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated if deserved. If you have any related follow up questions or need clarification, just ask!