J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive training and experience in criminal law matters, both prosecuting and defending.
15393114

How do I file to restore my gun rights

Customer Question

How do I file to restore my gun rights?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 8 years ago.
What state are you in and what was your conviction for?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Iowa and it was over 7 years ago for my last conviction

The date of your conviction does not matter. The type of conviction does.

If you were convicted of a forcible felony, a felony involving a drug crime, a felony weapons violation, or were 17 or younger and charged with a felony or aggravated misdemeanor against a person, then you cannot restore your gun rights. (Iowa Stat. 914.7).

If your felony wasn't as described above, then you can petition for restoration of your citizenship rights at any time after the conviction. (Iowa Stat. 914.6).

You can get the restoration or rights forms at the following link:

http://www.governor.iowa.gov/administration/clemency.php

The above information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!