Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
11068102

I was talking to a person at work. After I left he called police

I was talking to a person at work. After I left he called police and said I rubbed his arm to get his attention. the police said they will arrest me for assult and battery, unless I Apologize to the complainent. Have my rights been violated?
I don't see where your rights have been violated, but it does sound like a ridiculous complaint. Technically an unwanted touching meets the definition of assault, but this is obviously not what the drafters intended when they wrote the law.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So your saying if you tap on someone's shoulder to ask them a question, than you can be arrested for assault and battery?
That appears to be the position the police are taking in your case. The law in many states can be read to include this interpretation, but rarely is.