Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
3396227

My son needs a lawyer for a class 1 misdemeanor assault and

Customer Question

My son needs a lawyer for a class 1 misdemeanor assault and 2 class 3 misdemeanor harrassment charges against his teacher. He has a teacher with a different statement of what happened but the school has threatened her job if she comes forward.My son is 16 yrs old
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer- We cannot provide actual representation from this website. If you cannot afford an attorney for your son the court should appoint one. If there is a witness who can support your son's side of the story that witness can be subpoenaed and be required to testify, job or no job.

If you are planning on retaining your own lawyer you can contact the offices of your local Bar Association for a referral. I am assuming your son is being charged as a juvenile and not as an adult. If you have proof that the school is tampering with a witness you should report this to the authorities.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my husband makes decent money but the court won't let us speak for him in court so why do they want to go by our income to decide if he qualifies for a court appointed attorney

That is because he is a minor. Essentially no minor would be able to afford legal services so the courts base their decision on the ability of the parents to afford counsel. You cannot speak for him in court since you are not an attorney. I know it seems unfair but unless he is charged as an adult you will have to hire your own lawyer.

I would certainly try to compel the other teacher to testify.

Dave

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you do you have any advice about what we (he) should say to the judge to get a continuance until we can get an attorney and can you refer us to someone in the fairplay area in this area of expertise?

We are not permitted to recommend individual attorneys. As I said above the best place to start is with the Bar Association in your area. I have provided the website for the Colorado Bar since I don't know what large city you are near that would have a Bar Association. The state Bar can assist you.

He can simply tell the judge that he needs time to find a lawyer. If he is not incarcerated there shouldn't be a problem with continuing the matter.

Dave

http://www.cobar.org/directory/