P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

will this person get jail time 21 year old male on probation

will this person get jail time? 21 year old male on probation 4 assault. a stet for assault on jan 29. faces two assault charges on one person, different dates february 4. case is labeled domestic violence. a knive was put to the victims throat during this argument. ribs were broken on the first assault. cat scan with state's attorney.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist

From the description, it sounds like either jail time or very strict probation would be in order. If there is a prior assault charge, the current DV charge with the knife to the throat would, I believe, warrant significant punishment.

That said, the court will have great latitude in adjudging a sentence, and the DA will also have a role, as they will determine if there will be a plea agreement in the case. SO it will depend on the court and the DA to some degree, but I would expect either significant probation or least some jail time

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.