P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

I appearing on a probation vio.for a disorderly cond. i can

I appearing on a probation vio.for a disorderly cond. i can not afford counsel. I'm facing 83 days. should I be prepared to do some or all of the time? I did not commit a crime but failed to follow probation recomendations. can i have character witnesses testify on my behalf? Can a non lawyer address the court on my behalf?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist

A non lawyer is not allowed to address the court on your behalf generally, but you can request this from the court and, if the court allows, then you can.

You should be prepared to do all the time...since that is what you are facing...but if you can explain to the court what happened and why it will not happen again, there is a chance the court will give you another break...I would not count on it...but I would request it. In this regard a character witness may help. As I said with a non-lawyer addressing the court, the court may not wish to hear, but you can request and if the court grants, it would be good to have them standing by.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.