Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

In a internet sex sting, under Michigan state law, is it not

In a internet sex sting, under Michigan state law, is it not entrapment for an 41 year old man to place an add on craigs list as a 14 year old male looking for (friends gay/bi) in the ADULT PERSONAL section MEN LOOKING FOR MEN... and not in any of the other sites such as men looking for women ect., following the guide lines set up by the State Attorney Generals office not a targeted effort to go after a gay men and only gay men. My son is involved in such a case and all the information I have gatherd shows he might of been targeted.   Your opinion on this would help greatly.    Thank you
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 years ago.
There may be a claim that it is a violation of civil rights, but that has nothing to do with whether or not it is entrapment. It is unlikely that the ad would be considered entrapment based on the current state of the law. The courts have been whittling away at this defense for a while.

There may still be a number of defenses to be used, but they depend entirely upon the facts of this situation. Entrapment is one of the less likely ones to be successful.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.