LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

I received a ticket for contributing to the delquency of a

I received a ticket for contributing to the delquency of a minor. I left my child in the car unattended while i ran into work. It was a few days ago. I have never been in trouble before in any way. It is a Class 1 misdemeanor, will my attorney have good chance of pleaing this to where I do not do jail time. I am made am mistake and love my child and again I have no criminal record on any type.

Hello and thanks for choosing JustAnswer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you. To assist in providing you with accurate information, could you please clarify this point:

1. What is your jurisdiction (state)? [This information does not appear on my screen.]
  2. What is the age of your child?

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i was at my job to get my last pay check, it was in the mid 30's outside, i had just driven almost 2 hrs my car was 82 inside, my child fell asleep in the car and I left her in her car seat buckled in sleeping. I was in the my job sadly for almost 30 mins, time just got away. my co-worked called the police. I have summons, to appear in court in Virginia. I was and am extremely remoseful, the police man said so, child services interviewed me as protocol and as of yet believe it was mishap and bad judgement on my end which it was. I did not intentional leave my child in the car, my job hated her being at the job, she was sleeping, the car was warm and I made the wrong choice. it is my first charge ever ( except for speeding now and again) but i have never been in trouble not once for anything.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Fairfax county Virginia -----------18 months old

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information. Thank you for taking the time to supply the additional request information, which was helpful to my analysis of your issue.
  2. Unfortunately, Virginia does not have a statute geared toward this specific situation. To the best of my recollection, approximately 12 states do with many others considering such measures. In Virginia, HB 2711 failed to pass. That leaves basically no recourse but to prosecute under Virginia Code § 18.2-371. Technically, a Class 1 misdemeanor is punishable by confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both, pursuant to Virginia Code § 18.2-11.
  3. With all of that being said, while although of course I cannot make any guarantees, I would not expect for you to serve any jail time at all. Rather, I would expect a punishment of no confinement with the imposition of a fine and some court supervision. I hope that everything works out for you in this matter.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
In that statue, do they have to meet certain points?? Is it possible for a plea however that morning without a trial or is that what you are saying about a fine and supervision?