Crimlawyer, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  J.D. magna cum laude, Clerk for Supreme Court of Alabama 2004-2005, practicing lawyer

Did they pass a new law for inmates that are serving time to

Customer Question

Did they pass a new law for inmates that are serving time to 8months & 13days. For each year they aer serving. I heard it takes affect July1 2009. Can you help me
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Crimlawyer replied 7 years ago.
It is a one time fee. I need a little better understanding of what kind of new law you are looking for. What does the law do?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My husban is in prison for 7 years & they are sayen A new law in going infect July 1,2009 that for every year they only have to serve 8 months & 13 days. I just heard about it from the inmates in Madison Correctional Institution in London Ohio.
Ok, there is a new court decision regarding parole that just came down form the Ohio Supreme Court that affects thousands of prisoners in their parole hearings. Specifically, prior to this ruling Ohio was basing people's parole on what they were indicted for, not what they were convicted for. The court has banned them from doing this and ordered that prisoners need to be given parole based on what they were convicted for instead, which means that he could get out much sooner. he needs to file for a new hearing with the parole board as soon as possible to see if he is eligible for the new lighter parole and see if his time can be reduced.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He was to sentensed to 7 years for G.S.I. he well have a year in March 20. What is the time limite for parole or J.R.
What was he convicted for?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
7 counts of Gross sexual impostion & got 7 years. He well have 1 year as of March 20th of this year.
Alright, that makes him a 5 on the guidelines and he will be eligible for parole at 36 months. So he does not need to file right now, but it is quite possible that he may only do three years if he avoids fights and is otherwise a good prisoner.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you For your help.