JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor
1969057

Hi. Back in 1994 I was an idiot kid and got myself into some

Hi. Back in 1994 I was an idiot kid and got myself into some trouble. Partly because I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and partly because I was an ass. However, I was granted PTI at that time.... I recently applied for a firearms permit under the assumption that my record was supposed to be sealed automaticly after fulfilling by obligations for the PTI. Well I was denied the permit because of my record. I never in a million years thought this would show up. I did some checking online and saw that the New Jersey law say that someones record would be sealed after the PTI.. Is this correct? How can I handle this? And if you have anymore questions about it, feel free to ask.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.
In what state are you attempting to purchase a firearm permit?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
New Jersey
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.

Did you ever petition to have your record expunged? It sounds as if you never had that done. You should go to a local attorney and have them file the relatively simple paperwork to get your record of the completed PTI expunged from the records. It is a common misconception that your file will expunge itself... but it doesn't and you must request the court expunge the record for that to take place.

Please reply if I can assist further.

________________________

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I've never petitioned to have it expunged. But like I said, I was under the impression, that having completed my PTI 15 years ago that this was all supposed to be sealed. I realize you don't practice law in NJ, but speaking generally, do you know if it costs alot to have it expunged?
Expert:  JD replied 5 years ago.

The filing fees are normally pretty small... the New Jersey site I was looking at showed them at less than $100. As for attorney's fees I'm sure you know that the range will differ based upon who you get to file it for you. I can tell you that it is a very simply process and should require only a minimum fee.

You could try going to your local courthouse and asking the clerk of the court if they will show you an example or form petition for expungement. I'm certain they exist. You may even try asking the probation department if they have a form. While I never recommend someone represent themselves, with a little legwork you can probably handle this one on your own. I actually found a form expungement petition link on the New Jersey Courts website but the link was dead.... go figure.

Please reply if I can assist further.

________________________

JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience: Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor