Cedric, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Several Years of Criminal Defense Trials in L.A. and O.C. as public defender and private attorney

im a felon 20 years ago can i get my gun rights back automatic

Customer Question

im a felon 20 years ago can i get my gun rights back automatic . i was not involed in a voilent crime . dist of cocaine i live in iowa
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Cedric replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, federal and Iowa law prohibit any felon from possessing a firearm, regardless of how long ago the felony occured or for which the crime the person was convicted. Iowa Code section 724.27 states that even if a felon receives all rights of citizenship back after his conviction, it is still illegal for him to possess a firearm. Although anyone convicted of a felony in Iowa can petition the governor to restore their citizenship rights, it will not restore their rights to possess a firearm under Iowa law, unless the order specifically states that it is restoring the ex-felon's right to possess a firearm as well. Therefore, I'd reccomend to petition the governor for a reinstatement of your rights as a citizen and specifically mention that you would like your right to possess a firearm to be reinstated as well, since your underlying felony is 20 years old and was nonviolent. It would be additionally helpful if you can further justify your need to possess a firearm for hunting purposes, or family bonding, or some other similar activity that would come across as being sympathetic to Culver. (I'm not sure how he is compared to Vilsack or Branstead--whose son got a slap on the wrist for committing 2 counts of cehicular manslaughter). I'm an Iowan and from a family of hunters, so I'd be happy to answer any follow up questions you may have to try to get your rights back.
Also, though, take caution, since it would be a felony if you're found in posession of a firearm before your right to possess a firearm is restored.

Also, in 2003, the Iowa legislature specifically looked at the question and found that an executive order restoring citizenship rights to a felon does not authorize the felon to possess a firearm.
under Iowa law, unless the order explicitly states the person is authorized to do so.