Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Hi again I asked yesterday if viewing bestiality in ones

Customer Question

Hi again: I asked yesterday if viewing bestiality in one's home on one's own computer is illegal. You answered at first that it would be OK as long as children weren't involved. Then, you replied that there might be some problems. I replied that I was confused and I received direction to a federal obscenity law that seemed to refer to the distribution only--but not a law about personal viewing. Is this correct?? Distribution is not involved here. I just want to know if it is illegal to view obscenity in the privacy of one's home without any children involved? And is it illegal to purchase any pornography on the internet and receive it in the mail? Is the law violated here? Are there any risks? If there are, then I will let my curiousity expire. Thank you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 years ago.
I just sent a message to the expert that was helping you. She will pick up as possible.
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 7 years ago.

I am very sorry about the delays. My DSL computer connection keeps crashing and I have no way to answer the questions when this happens.

Did you get your questions answered after I sent you that link to the information website?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No. That federal Law seems to apply more to distribution of obscene material. It also seems to imply that viewing any pornography is illegal. That can't be so because there are many Adult video stores that sell material in communities--and they are allowed. Again, I thought that this question was more simple and you gave me a simple answer that satisfied me that it was OK, but it now seems more complicated than it should be. I just want to know if viewing adult porn in one's own private home that has no children--is illegal? Period! In addition--is buying porn material on one's own private computer and receiving it in the mail--illegal?? I hope that this what appears to be a simple question receives a simple answer and I will pay extra for that. If it is not simple and more convoluted in that there could be legal ramifications--then I will avoid doing anything illegal and drop this whole subject because I do not want to get into any trouble. Thank-you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Please answer my reply of 1/7/09 when you get a chance. If more money is needed--then let me know. Thank you.