Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
3396227

MY NEPHWE GOT ARRESTED IN PENNSYLVANIA LAST WEEKEND ON DRUG

Customer Question

MY NEPHWE GOT ARRESTED IN PENNSYLVANIA LAST WEEKEND ON DRUG PARAPHANIALIA CHARGES AND HAS YET TO GO TO COURT TO SEE HIS SENTENCING, BUT YESTERDAY, BACK HOME IN WEST VIRGINIA, THE LOCAL DRUG TASK FORCE HEAD GOT IN TOUCH WITH HIM AND WANTED HIM TO COME TALK TO HIMA ND GIVE HIM INFORMATION THAT COULS POSSIBLY HELP HIM WITH A REDUCTION IN HIS CHARGES. HOWEVER, THE COP HAS CONTACTED HIM TWICW STATING THAT HE NEEDS TO COME IN AND TALK BECAUSE HE SAYS THAT MY NEPHEW IS GOING TO BE INDICTED ON DRUG CHARGES THIS COMING MARCH, BECAUSE THERE IS EVIDENCE AGAINST HIM SAYING THAT HE HAS BEEN SELLING AND DISTRIBUTION OF DRUGS. SOMEONE, ACCORDING TO THE COP, HAS WORE A WIRE ON MYU NEPHEW SEVERAL TIMES!!!   CAN THIS COP BE FOE REAL, I THOUGHT THAT GIVING A CRIMINAL INFO THAT HINDER A CASE IS NOT ALLOWED. AND CAN HE TRUELY INFORM A SUPPOSED CRIMINAL OF A FEDERAL INDICTMENT WITHOUT AND CHARGES
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

Dear holly 1228 - I would advise that your nephew contact an attorney BEFORE he talks to anyone. Whatever the police promise has no value unless a prosecutor is involved to make a deal and he could be giving away his only bargaining chips by making a statement beforehand. I never advise anyone to talk to the police before contacting an attorney.

This could be a serious charge and he needs the advice of counsel. If the police want to make a deal that's fine but get the attorneys from both sides involved first. As for the PA charges those seem to have already been dealt with but even there, if there is some offer if he gives more information he should talk with an attorney. The cop may or may not be for real but once he talks he is subjecting himself to further charges with no real promise of anything.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it just seems wierd that the wv officer would contact hima nd want him to offer up info on these people only after the intial pa charge. that is when the cop told him that he has eveidence to indict him over the grand jury this march. i would think that he could not tell him he was going to be idicted do to a flee risk

Obviously I can't tell you why the cops would offer this or whether it would hurt his other case. That is why I am telling you he needs to talk to an attorney before he says anything to anyone.

Dave