Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

How effective are ignition locks for drunk drivers in Mass

Customer Question

How effective are ignition locks for drunk drivers in Massachusetts?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 years ago.
It has been my experience that Smart Smart is very reliable if installed properly. However, it is mu understanding that the same things that can affect a Breathalyzer can affect the ignition interlock devices. One thing that has been found to have an effect is if a person is diabetic they can release ketones in their breath which can adversely affect the readings. Another can be if they are breathing solvent fumes during the day it can remain in the lungs for a while and cause false readings.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That's not what I'm asking you. I'm asking if any cases in Massachusetts have been overturned because Smart Start wasn't reliable.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 years ago.
I ran a search on the Massachusetts cases and didn't find any where the case was reversed because Smart Smart was not considered reliable. I am not aware of anywhere in the U.S. that has found them to be unreliable and would be extremely surprised to find out that was the case.

A better argument if Smart Start doesn't have anyone to testify is that the State can't prove it is based on reliable technology. If you don't have a lawyer already consider hiring one who does a lot of DWI defense work because the technology and arguments are very similar to ones that you make in a criminal case.

Addition: There was a Texas case (I can't find the cite now) that held the state failed to prove the reliability of the SmartStart, but that is different from a finding that it is not reliable.