JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor

Proceedings to the retraining abuse/order ( alledged) the judge(especially

Proceedings to the retraining abuse/order ( alledged) the judge(especially woman) always beliefs what the abusee( woman) filed without proof--you think that woman is toooo OVERPROTED in the America. What must the defendant do, hire a very expert lawyer or els....
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

It is a certainty that men are often the victims of unlawful protective orders. I don't think that has as much to do with sexism as an overprotective attitude of all judicial officers. Think about it... if you had a woman who asked for an order of protection and you had to choose... what would you do? If you grant the protective order then the man must stay away from her... no big deal. If you deny the order and something happens then many people (who may have elected you) will have reason to blame you for the crime committed. So when faced with such a predicament, judges tend to err on the side of granting a protective order.

The real problem is that judges too often forget the collateral consequences of protective orders. Those that have considered the consequences have switched to using "No Contact" orders in lieu of protective orders in situations that are considered borderline. This permits an individual to retain the rights previously afforded them while maintaining the safety (theoretically) of the petitioner.

I have seen many attorneys who defend protective order actions make the suggestion that a mutual no contact order be entered. This will often times solve the situation and not have the negative connotations that a protective order carries. The no contact order would be mutual... thus not acknowledging any fault on any particular party. Otherwise you are stuck with trying to refute the claims that she uses to petition for the order. Proving that someone is lying is difficult and you usually find yourself in that borderline situation I described earlier unless you can catch her in a blatant lie.

As always you should consult a local attorney to represent you if someone is attempting to obtain a protective order against you.

Please reply if I can assist further.

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.