dkennedy, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  J.D. degree, 15 years practice

my girlfriend had a order of protection receded and when i

Customer Question

my girlfriend had a order of protection receded and when i went to court they informed of this with the understanding that for 6 months i couldnot have any contact with her. can the really do this??
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 7 years ago.

I don't understand what you mean by "receded". Could you explain?

You said "they" informed you that you couldn't have contact with her for 6 months. Who is "they" and was it a court order (in writing, signed by a judge)?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
receded means dismissed/dropped. The district attorney assistant told me I could not have contact with her and I never recieved anything in writing.
Expert:  dkennedy replied 7 years ago.

Hello again,

This is a very serious matter, and I don't want to mislead you. But, if the protective order has been dropped--by order of the court--then the proseutor has nothing to say about whether you two have contact or not.

I just want to caution you about making sure exactly what the court orders says, and I don't mean to over emphasize this, but sometimes court orders are unclear.

Go to the courthouse and ask for a copy of every document in the file. You have a right this this, if you pay the copy costs (50 cent a page or so). Then, take the court order "receding" the protective order, and have a close friend or relative read it over and see if they read the same thing as you do.

I'm only saying all this, because you do not want to violate any sort of protective order. I wish you the best of luck.