Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

My son was convicted of a felony, intoxicated assault, and

My son was convicted of a felony, intoxicated assault, and served two years in prison. Will he ever be alowed to posses a firearm and if so, when? He lives in Texas.

hi

he will need to first apply for a full pardon, which then he can present with a Petition for expungment

you can use this link to read more on that process

good luck

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Are you telling me that he has to have a full pardon to ever own a firearm?

hi

yes. that is correct. that way the matter can be expunged from his record and then when a NICS check is run, there is no record of the felony. that is the only way he can get it off his record in Texas -

under TX law, a person may petition a court for an order of nondisclosure five years after the discharge and dismissal of misdemeanor offenses and ten years after the discharge and dismissal of felony offenses for which the person was placed on deferred adjudication and successfully completed the required community supervision - without a pardon

but your son wouldn't be eligible for an expungment though since he was convicted unless he gets the pardon - and if he gets the pardon, then the Petition for Expunction should be granted.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would he need a lawyer to help him apply for a pardon?

hi

the link i provided shows and provides the necessary forms applications to file for the pardon - scroll to the top of the page

you can file them yourself