Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

i got a 3rd dui in 10 years in california. i was asked by dmv

i got a 3rd dui in 10 years in california. i was asked by dmv in order to get a restricted license while I am doing my 18th month program is get an interlock system in my car. I do not have a car but use family members cars to get to work and back. what can i do because I do need my license
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, there is not really anything you can do except equip a car with Interlock to drive it. The restricted license is a privilege and they can pretty much attach any conditions they want to it. You can appeal the DMV's decision, except they will more than likely deny you any kind of restricted license. Given your history, an interlock is standard and I doubt you will have any success trying to get that restriction removed. And driving in violation of it will get you in a world of trouble. So you should really try to work out something where you have a vehicle that is in compliance, or not drive, unfortunately.