Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I was arrested back in 2004. My record was sealed and the

I was arrested back in 2004. My record was sealed and the court documents stated that the arrest could not be used against me in the hiring of public saftey positions. Is there anyway I could appeal the decison that the FBI made against me. I passed every phase and then they said they could not render a favorable decision.
Unfortunately, certain law enforcement positions can and do used sealed records information and the only way to attack the FBI is to file suit in the federal court against them for a violation of the court order, but as long as they can express a legitimate reason for the denial they will end up prevailing.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there another appeal agency besides the Merit systems protection board?
Not for the FBI for applicants. The Merit board is only for current employees. Applicants do not have any appeal rights through administrative agencies. The applicant must allege some violation of law or contract theory that the FBI committed in denying your employment. In your case, if the order said it was not to be considered, then the FBI is violating that order and you will have to hire an attorney to fight them.