Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney

can a police officer ask if my licensce is legal Couldnt

Customer Question

can a police officer ask if my licensce is legal? Couldn't an officer determine that by calling in the number?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer- A police officer can ask any question they please. You do not have to answer or speak to the police so if you refuse to answer they would have to find the answer elsewhere. It is always best not to talk to the police but it is also advisable not to lie. The best advice I can offer is to simply remain silent which is your right at all times.

I'm not certain of the facts surrounding this situation but if your license was legal and you answered "yes" I don't see a problem. If it was not legal and you lied then you would compound the charges of a fake license by adding a charge of lying to a police officer.

David Kennett - JD - Attorney at Law

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. My license is real. I just wasn't sure why they would ask.
Who knows - they are always looking for something and that's why I recommend not talking to them. I'm not against the police but I also believe that you should protect your own rights. Thanks for using our service. - Dave