Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

My son and I received a ticket for shooting to close to a roadway.

My son and I received a ticket for shooting to close to a roadway. The officer said the charge was a class 4 misdemeanor, he also gave me a ticket for contributing to a minor because my son is 15. We have to go to court and I do not know if I need to get a lawyer. The officer said for me not to worry, but this is first time we have ever received a ticket and I do not know what to do.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

hi

please tell me the state where this happened and if you have a statute number on the ticket, that would be helpful

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The state is Virginia and the county is Rockbridge., The only number the officer wrote on the ticket was 18.2-286. He also wrote the number C20-2 in the law section which says would describe the charge, but I can not fine anything on C20-2.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

hi

a Class 4 misdemeanor in VA is a fine only violation - the fine is $250.

the only C20-2 i find refers to civil proceedings which could be because you would be liable for any civil proceedings that might evolve

here is the code on the crime

§ 18.2-286. Shooting in or across road or in street.

If any person discharges a firearm, crossbow or bow and arrow in or across any road, or within the right-of-way thereof, or in a street of any city or town, he shall, for each offense, be guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to firing ranges or shooting matches maintained, and supervised or approved, by law-enforcement officers and military personnel in performance of their lawful duties.