Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

Can you be lawfully arrested for failure to attend court when

Customer Question

Can you be lawfully arrested for failure to attend court when you did not know of the hearing because you had moved and although we notified all the relevent departments accordingly ie driving licence the letter was sent to the old address and when arrested your legal rights were not read out to you and you was actually in a police station trying to get your fingerprints taken for an alcohol licence application ??? and if not can I sue ??
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

hi

databases are slow to catch up - so even though you changed your address properly if you did not show for the court date a bench warrant will be issued - your recourse is to show that you did indeed give you change of address and the computer input was at fault

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We explained all this to the officers but my husband was still arrested and he went to jail where I had to get a bail man to get him out and then an attorney to represent him in court can i claim my legal fees back I did not find your reply answered my question
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

hi

i was trying to explain why your husband was arrested - the databases did not reflect that you had changed your address before the warrant was issued. - i am not sure what legal fees you are talking about. you did not accept my answer, therefore no money was removed from you deposit.

i did, however, answer what you had posted about. if there is more you can ask it here and i can further try to help you.