Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

I was charged with attempted breaking and entering a dwelling,

Customer Question

I was charged with attempted breaking and entering a dwelling, breakin and entering a vechile in one county. The case was dismissed agreeing that I perform 40 hrs. community service. This shows up as ds on my criminal record. I heard that all dismissed cases should not be on your record even as charged with it. Secondly, I was also charged in ANOTHER county with possession of marijuana of les than 1 1/2 ounce(small amount in cig. pack plastic). I was convicted of disorderly conduct. Can I get these charges expunged and if so do I need an attorney from both counties? Also, I have dwi's on my record since 1988 totallying 3 with my last on 11/99. I am now sober and eligible for my liscense soon. I am trying to get back in my career field and am having trouble due to my record. Can you please help me??
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 7 years ago.
First of all, the dismissed cases will be on your record as dismissals unless you apply for expungements, so you will have to do that to remove those.

Unfortunately, only charges without a guilty disposition are eligibile for expungement in North Carolina. So for the charges that you pled guilty or were found guilty, you cannot get an expungement. You would have to apply to have those charges pardoned. Here is the contact information for the office that handles those; you can contact them to request an application.