Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

i have a friend who was arrested for trying to meet a grl under

i have a friend who was arrested for trying to meet a grl under age on the internet, it was an undercover cop. my question is that he doesn't want to be on the registered sex offender list. it was the first time he did this,and the police haven't found anythng else on his computer. is it possible for him not to be on this list?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 7 years ago.
Hello. What state is he in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. Unfortunately in New York there isn't really a lesser offense he could plead to that does not involve registration because it involves solicitation of a minor. His only chance of not registering is fighting and beating the charges at trial (although it is very difficult to beat charges of this type because the chats are usually recorded). He should get a lawyer if he hasn't gotten one yet to try to work out a good plea deal for him, but unfortunately he will most likely have to register. Sorry I can't give you better news.