P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.

My question concerns owning a rifle or shotgun (not a pistol)

Customer Question

My question concerns owning a rifle or shotgun (not a pistol) if a person has been convicted of a federal crime. The person in question served 11 months of a 1 year, 1 day sentence plus 2 years probation. If this person is not allowed to own a long gun is it illegal for the spouse to own one living at the same address?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
Federal law prohibits owning a gun if you are convicted of a felony.

There is an exemption for antique weapons, produced prior to 1899. But you are prohibited from owning any weapon made after this date.

The law does not prohibit a spouse or relation from owning a gun, but if this is used as a subterfuge to allow you to possess and use the weapon, you can still be prosecuted under the federal (and most state) law.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the green accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.