Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

My son was arrested for possession of less than a gram of marijuana

My son was arrested for possession of less than a gram of marijuana in the state of georgia. This is the 2nd arrest. The first time he just paid a fine and didn't even have to go to court. This time he does have to go to court. What should he expect as a sentence?

If it was less than 1 oz, he is looking at a maximum of 1 year in jail and/or a $1000 fine. The fact that it is the same offense doesn't bode particularly well; on the other hand, marijuana is considered a petty offense by most judges. It is likely that he would get probation again. However, to ensure the best outcome, you should get a lawyer for him as soon as possible. If you can't afford a lawyer, he should apply for the services of the public defender or request that a court appoint him a lawyer. A lawyer can work out the best possible plea for him that hopefully will not involve more jail time.