Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

I was the treasurer of a local non-profit for 7 years. During

I was the treasurer of a local non-profit for 7 years. During the majority of that time, there was never a question of my integrity and the manner in which I performed my duties. However, in the last 2 years, the chairperson of the board decided that she didn't like me for some perceived affront. She called the "investigative reporter" of a local newspaper with a bogus story of tax fraud, what she tried to get him to believe was theft, etc. There was also another individual who "jumped on the bandwagon" with her and posted information on his blog (actually he cut and pasted the newspaper article. There are 2 entries on Google that reference both the news article and the blog. Is there anything I can do to "untarnish" my reputation? There was never any theft, all monthly reports balanced and there were no questions until this made up information. Thank you.

You could always try to commence a defamation lawsuit against the chairperson and the blogger. The grounds for a defamation lawsuit exists if someone makes false statements of fact about you to another which damage your character. If the chairperson made false statements that you committed theft, certainly such statements would damage your character, and you be entitled to compensatory damages. You could also ask the newspaper and blogger to print a retraction of the stories, or you will commence a defamation lawsuit.