dkennedy, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  J.D. degree, 15 years practice

I am a correctional officer in North Carolina,, Im a gay male,

I am a correctional officer in North Carolina,, I'm a gay male, and I feel I might be getting set up by management and a couple of the inmates for "whatever" payoff for the inmates. What are the laws on "entrapment" and if I've not had sexual contact but have had what I would call "playful banter" what are my offenses. Rest assured the "playful banter" ends NOW.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  dkennedy replied 7 years ago.

I don't know what the payoff would be, but you certainly committed a cardinal sin, and that is trusting the inmates, even a little bit. They will "get" whoever they can, and they don't even have to have a reason. As for your fellow guards, just your being gay might be enough to get them to set you up. I don't know what you can do to repair things, but if you belong to a union, make sure you go to the representative if anything at all happens. Being in the union means they cannot fire you for no reason at all, but the inmates can easily trump up something if they want to.

I would also suggest you start a journal (at home, of course) and write down the things that happen, the conversations, unusual events, etc.--no matter how small or seemingly unimportant. If it ever comes about that your job is in jeopardy because you are gay, you might need this record of events for the EEOC.

Don't let yourself be alone at any time with an inmate if possible. That way you will always have a witness and can't be accused of anything.

If you haven't openly professed to being gay, don't even hint at it now. Don't turn into another person, but keep up your "guard" at all times.

You have chosen a most difficult profession, and I wish you well.