nancyd560623
nancyd560623,
12446316

if someone got arrested on petit theft and violated his probation

Customer Question

if someone got arrested on petit theft and violated his probation for the third time is there a chance he could get out after he does his 10 days or however long before his court date?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  nancyd560623 replied 5 years ago.
JustAnswers

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

There can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

By using this forum and/or clicking ACCEPT, you expressly acknowledge that any information I may give in response to your question in this forum does not constitute legal advice; there is no attorney-client relationship between us; and all questions and answers are visible to the whole world, including your opponent, and any information provided is therefore not confidential. Because of the public nature of this forum, by posting anything here you waive irrevocably any and all claim to confidentiality or privilege as to the content posted. Please post only that information that you are willing for your opponent to see and use against you if this matter goes to court. Any money you may give me in response to this posting (which may include both your agreed-on sum and any bonus payment) is a gift of gratitude, and is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, attorney's fees. For more information about your matter, you should consult with an attorney of your choice in a traditional face-to-face or telephonic meeting.

Violation of probation is a crime that is separate from the original crime for which a person is on probation, and it generally carries a separate sentence. Whether the court would let a three-time violator out of jail before the court date for the violation is questionable -- that's getting on toward being a habitual offense and judges in general don't like habitual offense.

You need a lawyer. The court will appoint one for you if you can't afford one yourself. Avail yourself of that right if you have not done so already, and discuss the tactics for avoiding going back to jail despite the repeated probation violations.

If I have answered your question, please click on ACCEPT so I can receive credit for my answer. If you have constructive comments about my response to you, please click on the Feedback link above and leave feedback for me; if you are satisfied with my response, please leave positive feedback even if you don't leave a comment. Remember that you are leaving feedback for the quality of my help to you, not for Just Answer's policies or billings (I have no control over JA, especially not over their billing of customers; I just control what I have written). If questions linger, please hit REPLY to let me know how I can help you further.