How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4479
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what can i do to avoid imprisonment after a hit ans run in

Resolved Question:

what can i do to avoid imprisonment after a hit ans run in california?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.
<p>Hire an attorney, first off. If you can't afford one, apply to the public defender or request that the court appoint you an attorney. An attorney can negotiate the best plea deal possible for you. If your driving record is relatively good, and since there was no injury, a lawyer should be able to negotiate probation for you in lieu of jail time. In the interim, you may also want to take a driver improvement course (usually offered by the MVA) to show the court you are taking the case seriously and want to better yourself.</p><p> </p><p>Good luck.</p>
Hammer O'Justice and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
should i turn in to the Police first and get an attorney later, or should turn in myself only when an attorney is whit me?
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 8 years ago.
I would suggest getting an attorney first. The attorney doesn't necessarily have to go with you, but if you have one in place already, he or she can negotiate the terms of your bail more quickly.