Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

what can i do to avoid imprisonment after a hit ans run in

what can i do to avoid imprisonment after a hit ans run in california?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 7 years ago.
<p>Hire an attorney, first off. If you can't afford one, apply to the public defender or request that the court appoint you an attorney. An attorney can negotiate the best plea deal possible for you. If your driving record is relatively good, and since there was no injury, a lawyer should be able to negotiate probation for you in lieu of jail time. In the interim, you may also want to take a driver improvement course (usually offered by the MVA) to show the court you are taking the case seriously and want to better yourself.</p><p> </p><p>Good luck.</p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
should i turn in to the Police first and get an attorney later, or should turn in myself only when an attorney is whit me?
I would suggest getting an attorney first. The attorney doesn't necessarily have to go with you, but if you have one in place already, he or she can negotiate the terms of your bail more quickly.