P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.

Hello. I was trying to get into an exs car to see the cerll

Hello. I was trying to get into an ex's car to see the cerll phone for numbers...I got caught..they put me in jail for a few hours, I paid my bail. Then later went to ocurt and they threw it out and said if no info on this in 1 year then its done... i recently reicieved a letter (short) to inform me that a complaint has been filed against me in the misdemeanor chg of tampering with a car. I need to go to court to defend myself of the peoplke of california. Who made this reappear?what should I expect? I never have been arrested.i am apretty good citizen.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
The prosecutor will have at least a year, perhaps more, to file charges in a criminal case. I suspect that is what is going on here.

You would not need to defend yourself. If you can not afford an attorney, you should let the judge know and the court will provide an attorney for you.

From what you have described this appears minor and you may be able to have this case adjudicated so that at the end it stays off your criminal record, but you will need to work with your attorney for this

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the green accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.