Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I GOT ARRESTED FOR GRAND THEFT THIRD DEGREE FELONY IN MIAMI

Customer Question

I GOT ARRESTED FOR GRAND THEFT THIRD DEGREE FELONY IN MIAMI AT THE MALL.. THE TOTAL WAS 850$.. I DONT KNOW WHAT I WAS THINKING AND THIS IS MY FIRST OFFENSE.. I WENT TO JAIL FOR A NIGHT AND POSTED BOND.. IM AFRAID.. DO YOU THINK IT WILL BE DROPPED OR LESSENED IF I HIRE A GOOD LAWYER.. IM A WELL TO DO BUISNESS MAN .. JUST MADE A BAD MISTAKE..IM 31 AND NEED SOME PEACE OF MIND.. HIRED A GREAT ATTORNEY.. SCARED OF JAIL .. BUT IM IN MIAMI DADE COUNTY SO THEY SAY IM LUCKY.. PLEASE ANSWER WITH SOME EXPERIENCE.. :-) IM REALLY NOT A CRIMINAL AND SCARED TO DEATH OF JAIL.. REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.. CHRIS

Optional Information:
MIAMI DADE, Florida
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
FIrst off, as a first offender with a clean record, your attorney would likely be able to at least work out some sentence that does not include jail time. The courts generally do not like to put first offenders in jail for things like this (shoplifting) and many times a skilled criminal attorney will even be able to work out a deferred sentence to get the charges dismissed upon completion of the sentence. This also depends upon the relationship the attorney has with the prosecutors and with the court. Also, the attorney should also be able to make a deal with the store itself and may be able to convince them to not prosecute the case in exchange for your payment of expenses to the store. While the 3rd Degree felony for grand theft sounds serious to those not previously involved in the system, but under the FL laws, there is no minimum sentence for a 3rd degree felony and the maximum sentence is only 5 years, which means a first offender of a non-violent crime is more likely than not going to only get a probationary sentence without any jail time at all.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
IS IT POSSIBLE FOR NO PROBATION AND EXPUNGEMENT?
Florida has limited expungement options for people who were convicted of offenses. It permits expungement where the charge is dismissed, nolle prossed, or results in acquittal, as long as the applicant has not been found guilty of a subsequent offense. It permits criminal records to be sealed where there is no "adjudication of guilt", such as where a defendant receives a delayed disposition. But it does not appear to offer similar remedies following conviction. Thus, if you can get a dismissal or a Nolle Prossequi as part of your deal, then you can get an expungement, if not, you would have to seek a pardon from the governor's office and then seek the expungement.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THANK YOU
You are welcome.