P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

I have a felony non-violent conviction in Montana in 1980.

I have a felony non-violent conviction in Montana in 1980. I subsequently had an early discharge, have no other felonies, and live in New Mexico. Am I eligible for for gun ownership?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.
Under federal law, if you have been convicted of a felony in any state or in federal court, you are prohibited from owning a firearm.

Federal law exempts antique firearms from all gun controls. Title 18, U.S. Code, Section 921(a)(16) defines antique firearms as all guns made prior to 1899 as well as all muzzleloaders made anytime, and replicas of pre-1899 cartridge firing guns made anytime, provided that such replica uses cartridges "not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade." (Note: Cartridge firing machine guns and short-barreled shotguns are still illegal regardless of when made, under Section 5861 of the IRS Code, Title 26, U.S. Code.)

If you want to restore your rights to own all firearms, you need to apply to have your conviction expunged or erased.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the green accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.