How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34069
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son has been accused of aggravated kidnapping 15 months

Resolved Question:

my son has been accused of aggravated kidnapping 15 months ago, he was dating this young lady they spent the day together and ended the night in an disagreement, my son called her on the cell to talk with her and she agreed, he picked her up in front of her home, they drove about 1.5 miles from her home and .5 miles from ours, they further disagreed and he broke it off with her and asked her to get out of his truck (they were parked near a residential area but closer to an undeveloped housing area). My son went back to her house with the keys she threw at him and opened the vehicle to get his belongings out of her car and was confronted by her father who beat the living daylights out of my son. He was also charged with theft of a vehicle. She further claimed my son sexually assaulted her, no evidence to support any physical violence or abuse. My question is the DA now wants to reindict my son for sexual assault afte 15 months, why is he doing this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist

Can you tell me which state this is in please?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.

There can be many reasons to re-open a grand jury. It is possible that there is new evidence that has been submitted or that the alleged victim has put pressure on the DA.

At this point, if you son has yet to be indicted, that is a good thing. the best you can do for him is to make sure he has a good attorney that can help through the process.

Unless there is an indictment, the case can not proceed. Most prosecutors will not want to take a weak case to trial...your description makes this case sound weak...if that is in fact the case, your son stands a much better chance

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the green accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
da wants to reindict as of 11/21/08 and we are waiting for the papers for arraignment.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.
Well, that is when you son can start his defense. If he does not have an attorney, the court will appoint one. But if you can afford, get him a good one. This is the type of case that is winnable. But you need a good attorney to fight it

P. Simmons and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you