Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

Hi Sir/Madam, My son has been charged with first degree robbery

Hi Sir/Madam, My son has been charged with first degree robbery and has court date set for next week. He is juvenile and we live in New York city. This is his first time ever to be charged with any crime. Could you please explain me what mandatory sentencing he may have to face. How important is it for me to have him represented by a lawyer? Thank you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

first degree robbery is a class b felony and carries a penatly of NOT MORE THAN 25 years - there is no mandatory minimum for a first offender - if this is a first offense for your son, then it is possible to work out a probation in this matter - you should consult with a local lawyer due to the possible sentence available to the judge