Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

When i was in las vagas i got a marker (Credit) from the casino

Customer Question

When i was in las vagas i got a marker (Credit) from the casino after lossing i could not pay it and i am now going bankrupted. I just received a letter from district attorney office they are taking criminal action for bad checks. I never wrote a check. I live in ct. Can you advise. Paul, Thank you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
They can and the often do pursue criminal charges for bad checks, since the law considers such markers to be the same as a personal check and there is an agreement to pay. In fact, if you read the marker itself it should be printed right there (at least the few that I have seen have that printed on them). While the debt may be wiped out in bankruptcy, the criminal charges will not be affected by it.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.