Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

whats the difference between a presidential pardon and having

what's the difference between a presidential pardon and having you record expunged?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

An expungement is a state procedure, governed by each state's law. An expungement serves the same purpose as a pardon as far as erasing one's criminal record. Expungements are essentially non-existent for federal convictions. A presidential pardon is practically the only way to get a federal conviction removed from one's record. Note, however, that the president has no power to grant a pardon for a state conviction. Only the current sitting governor of the state where the conviction occurred can grant clemency for a prior conviction. If you are eligible for an expungement, I would try that first.

I hope this helps. Be sure to click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for this answer. As always, if you have additional questions after clicking ACCEPT, I will be glad to follow up with you.

Nathan Moore