CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

My secretary recently forged a company check for herself for

My secretary recently forged a company check for herself for $5,000. My company has been suffering and is under great duress. Her writing has been verified by a handwriting expert. We live in the State of Wisconsin. If it her first offense and she is convicted....what is she facing penalty...i.e. jail etc. wise..?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 7 years ago.
For a first time offender, such as her, the State is most likely to offer her a probationary sentence between 12-24 months and order her to pay your company restitution, in the amount of $5,000. She will also have to pay court costs. Unless she has a prior criminal history and is scoring mandatory prison time, it is unlikely the State will seek any jail or prison, even though the statute allows her to be incarcerated. At some time, you will get a call from the Prosecutor assigned to the case, asking you about the facts and what you feel is a reasonable punishment, for this crime. The prosecutor has to use their discretion in making an offer to the defendant, to resolve this case, without a trial. In the event that this does go to trial, she could be facing incarceration, if decided by the Judge.