Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

My 17 year old son recieved a MIP Saturday night. He gave

My 17 year old son recieved a MIP Saturday night. He gave concent for the police officer who pulled him over to search his car and they found an empty bottle of Vodka. What penalties are we looking at? Will his license be automatically suspended?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

yes - automatic suspension of license is definite - then he will need to pay a fine of not more than $250.00 and also may be required to attend a substance abuse counseling course, which will impose a fee -

his license can be suspended for up to one year, but this process is handled through the motor vehicles administration and is considered a civil or administrative hearing - with an attorney, it is possible to have the license suspension kept to the minimum of 3 months with possible allowances for school and/or work related only activities