Nate, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.

I was arrested in N.C. on fugitive warrant from GA. For attempting

I was arrested in N.C. on fugitive warrant from GA. For attempting to bribe a witness, and intimidating a witness, the D.A. was going on emails sent from myself to the so called victim. I turned myself in, in GA. and paid a high cash bond, in March 08. The D.A. has been sent all the emails now, and it shows my innocence, but he has yet to drop charges, or to take case forward. this week it will be 9 months,since arrest. Do I not have a right to a speedy trial? or since he knows of my innocence, doesnt he have a responsibility to drop this in a timelier fashion? This has caused me much distress and anxiety, I have had to have disc surgery in neck, was out of work, and husband laid off from work, so this is a financial hardship to us. Am ready to call the Governor of GA!!! I just need some answers to what my rights are. thank you
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Nate replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

There is a right to a speedy trial, but it does not become viable until after one year has passed since the service of the indictment/warrant on you, so that will not be a viable option for at least three more months - even then, there is no guarantee you would be entitled to a dismissal.

Ideally, the DA would voluntarily retire the charges if there is clear proof of your innocence. Unfortunately, this does not always happen. The best thing you can do is get your attorney to negotiate more urgently with the state, to include going to the assistant district attorneys boss, and his boss, if necessary.

I hope this helps. Be sure to click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for this answer. As always, if you have additional questions after clicking ACCEPT, I will be happy to follow up with you.

Nathan Moore

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
But who is the District Attorney's boss. was told he does not have one,and thank you for your reply
Expert:  Nate replied 7 years ago.
If you have already talked to the county level District Attorney, you may have to contact the Attorney General's office in Atlanta.