Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

I used to live with my friend and just a couple of weeks ago

Customer Question

I used to live with my friend and just a couple of weeks ago we moved out of her house into my house. We went to her house yesterday and her mom punched her in the face and then tried to pull me out of my car as well as her dad. My friend was going frantic sitting next to me and she was screaming at me "Let's just go!!" so I pulled out of the driveway and now her family says that they are going to charge with me with attempted manslaughter because they said I tried to run them over. They have 2 little daughters that are 8 and 9 and they said they were going to use them as witnesses. Could i really get in trouble with the law for this??
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
While you could be if they fabricate evidence or statements changing the facts, if there were injuries to your friend from being punched in the face, then you need to photograph them and go to the police and file charges against mom and dad. You have the right to flee from an assault/battery being committed upon you. Unfortunately, if these people are sleazy enought to make up a story then you would have to overcome that, but if your friend has injuries and they do not, it would help support your story, as would you telling them the threats they made about fabricating a story using the two little children.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.