Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

what if any trouble could I get into for ordering prescription

what if any trouble could I get into for ordering prescription medication online? I havent received any medication but am worried that it was ordered from Canada and the ramifications of federal borders. I went to the bank to dispute the charge on my credit card, and they are seeking retribution. If a law enforcement agency got possession and my name and address was on it, without possessing it could I be charged with anything?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
It is against federal law to purchase prescriptions online without a prescription from a doctor after an actual physical examination and from importing drugs from other countries (See: 21 U.S.C. § 301 et seq.). However, this is so popular that the law enforcement agencies really do not pursue these matters frequently.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

What if they did decide to charge me? If the medication got flagged at the post office and they alerted the authorities, its a small town and they would if they could.

If they did decide to charge you then you would be looking at 5-10 years under the above statute. However, as I said, it is highly unlikely because the federal authorities just do not have the mandpower to do these types of investigations.